Medina, OH asked in Criminal Law and Business Law for Ohio

Q: Can the electric company ask for person information regarding my husband's incarceration?

I am trying to switch the electric bill to my name since my husband has been incarcerated. Can they legally ask for his incarceration dates, where he's being incarcerated, and his inmate number?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar

A: An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. If they have a policy along the lines of of "reserving the right to obtain any and all information in furtherance of maintaining the integrity of accounts... ," or something to that effect, it could be difficult to challenge. One option could be to contact a public agency that oversees utilities (Ohio Public Utilities Commission or others possibly) to ask if such an information request is reasonable. Another option could be to explore whether their customer service could find an easier means of accomplishing what you are trying to do (maybe adding a name to an existing account if that is easier?). Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.