Florissant, MO asked in Probate for Louisiana

Q: My mother was killed in a automobile accident on June 3,2020 and at the time of her passing she did not leave a will.

She owns a home (4918 Okeefe St Bossier City, La) which my girlfriend and I were currently living in at the time of my mother passing. I am the oldest child of two from my mother and father (mom and dad have been divorced for years now). My mother does own the home but has a mortgage due to refinancing several years ago. 2 days after my mom passed my sister came in and told me I either had to sell the house (split proceeds) or allow my niece (her oldest) to move in. Me being the nice person that I am allowed my niece to move in, however, both my sister and my niece kicked me and my girlfriend out on the street (now we are both homeless) and they are refusing to tell the mortgage company my mother passed. On top of everything, her life insurance company isn’t wanting to pay for the funeral so I told my sister the house needs to be sold so the funeral company can be paid and we can split the rest.

What are my options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: While your sister has a right of use to the house, she cannot kick you out to gain it. You have equal rights to use of the home. You can sue your sister for wrongful eviction and to be restored to use of the home. If you no longer wish to be a co-owner of the property with your sister and she refuses to agree to sell the home, you can file to partition the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.