Portland, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: My mother was wrongfully evicted.

My mother lived with her boyfriend for the last year, a week ago he died very unexpectedly (even though he did have COPD among other health issues) and his family not only came in to the house but, kicked my mother out and changed the locks not even 5 hours after he passed. Now she's homeless. Unfortunately, she does have warrants. Would I be able to file a grievance on her behalf?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I'm sorry but I can't figure out what you're asking. Usually if a person is wronged in a legal sense, it is up to that person to pursue any remedy she might have. She may have some rights to that property, but as she's already been thrown out, it may be too late to get any real relief. That doesn't mean she shouldn't look into it. Have her contact a lawyer. Or better yet, take her to see a lawyer so you can both hear what the lawyer thinks she might be able to do about this.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. If you'll re-phrase your question and re-submit it here, maybe someone will be able to help you through this forum.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.