Berkley, MA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Massachusetts

Q: Hi need help with Child custody for my daughter

Hi, I need with a child custody for my daughter Rosalie. She is 7. Her father just served me papers for custody and parenting visits. I'm planning on moving out of state and i want to do things legally. I also want to do what the best interest of my daughter. Her dad doesn't pay child support and I opened a case for it but don't know the status for that is and i been waiting for awhile. I got summoned to go to court for my daughter's dad to get child parenting time and custody. I got 20 days to response and i want to get answers and information on what to do. i'm low income and need legal help. Any information is appeicated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: There is a Public on-line Probate & Family Court docket search you can do to check the status of your case Its unclear what your case was- divorce, paternity, etc. Was the MDOR /CSE involved in obtaining child support orders? if yes, then follow up with the MDOR. If not, you can seek an application for the Dept. of Revenue to pursue child support. if you are pro se, you can also seek a pro bono attorney from the local bar association on custody and visitation issues. The MDOR does not handle custody or visitation issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.