Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: If I was arrested with a controlled 2 substance felony charge for pills that were 5 years old can I still be charged?

I wasnt read my miranda rights upon arrest. I was crying when I went to jail cause I was in shock so I had a low grade fever and they put me In isolation (fiday) and instead of seeing the judge the next day (Saturday) I was left in isolation until sunday and then was put with others and had my first appearance monday! I had my ex stepdads moms pills in my car cause he and my mom divorced and he left them at our home. My mom moved out and so me and my son lived there and that's when I found them and was taking them to him at the time of arrest. I was arrested in april of 2020 and during my first appearance a stipulation to my bond was that I be drug tested weekly at my own cost of 30 dollars and to this day I still take the drug test. I do not have the money for an attorney so I was appointed a public Defender and with covid 19 I can only contact her by calling the office and leaving a message for her to call me. I dont know what to do. I'm 19 years old and need help please, & thanks!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Powder Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Since you already have a Public Defender representing you, you have counsel. Since your charges are fairly recent, there likely are no new court date or any developments; the courts have remained closed only for certain emergency hearings. Most offices, including the office of Public Defender, are still working remotely. It may be best to locate an email address of a contact person in that office who can put you in contact with your Public Defender.

We wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm, (770) 240-0922.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.