Corsicana, TX asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: Do I need an attorney to have property transferred to an heir from a family member who passed without a will in place?

My grandmother, Hazel, passed away in 2005 and did not have a will. She had one heir, Don (my dad). Don passed away in 2011 with a wife and 3 adult children. He didn't have a will either. 1 property in Hazel's name and 1 property in Don's name both need to be put into Laura's name (me, adult child of Don). Can I file documents to do this or do I need an attorney?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: Hire a competent attorney to draft that very complicated Affidavit of Heirship. It is not simple, but recording a good one will establish the heirs source of title.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.