Glen Burnie, MD asked in Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: I voted on Greet Card Mistakenly

back in 2014 I took My Green card and was in MVA to apply for my Drivers Licence ,

the Lady there register me for voting and explain to me that this is my right and responsibility now, I insisted that I'm not Citizen , but she assure me that this is OK as longer I dong Vote for President in General election.

I voted that same year for Governor and then on Primary in 2016.

I was on my Citizenship interview last week and answer that I voted , they give me a 3 months to show them evidence of how I voted and what happen . But I realize that this is huge violation , just now after all of this years trusting the MVA government employee .

Do I still have chance not to loose my citizenship and everything I work for so hard true this years ?

Please if someone had case with this I really need a good experience lawyer to help me going true this ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra Mulder
Kyndra Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: I have had cases where clients were registered to vote by the DMV and were forgiven. However, I have never had a client that actually voted who was forgiven. When you receive an immigration status the government expects you to educate youself on the terms of your status and what violates that status.

Voting is deportable offense. The onlhy thing you can do is put up a defense that you did so innocently. I strongly suggest you retaine an experienced immigration attorney who can wite a good memorandum of law and fact on your behalf.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.