Fort Walton Beach, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: can I get charged with the drugs that I overdosed on and is it child neglect if no children were home

They didn't take the drugs off of me they let me go to the county jail with the drugs on me after I told them I had them

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey H. Garland
Jeffrey H. Garland
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Pierce, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If police can prove you possessed controlled substances without a prescription, then obviously you may be charged. People who neglect their children due to drug abuse may be charged with child neglect. It very much sounds like you need to be consulting face to face with a lawyer. If the children weren’t home, you might escape the child neglect criminal charges, but score a DCF proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.