Greenville, SC asked in Probate for Tennessee

Q: Do I need to go to probate to get my car's title changed from my name "and" deceased husband's name to just my name?

He passed over 5 years ago and the title says "and" not "or" between the owner names.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If you are selling it, you might try to sign the title over as yourself and the sole next of kin of the decedent. Or you can apply for a new title to DOS. Most County Clerks will take it as is. If necessary, file a Small Estate Affidavit Probate, but that is alot of expense and trouble for a car title.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.