Los Angeles, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: My employer does not enforce 5th hour meal break penalty. Is this grounds for a lawsuit?

I typically work 8 hour shifts throughout the year except for the last quarter; I begin working 10 - 12 hour shifts 5 days per week. Often times I am unable to take a meal break until well after my 5th hour. On the days when I work the 10-12 hour shifts, I'm given 1 meal break. This is the same circumstance of 100's of other employees in the company. I worked for another company in the past that paid employees an extra hour of pay if the 5th hour was passed without a taken meal break; which caused me to believe this was the standard.