Riverview, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: How do I remove My boyfriend name from my house we are no longer together and he has judgement s that placed liens.

It is homesteaded property if i just quitclaim him off the deed will it remove him and his judgments? He also has the same name as his father and his father judgement liens are attached to my property as well. Please advise. He is willing to sign quitclaim and transfer his rights to me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: The only way to remove someone off of a deed is to get them to sign the deed. Once the judgment liens are recorded they are not removed until they are satisfied. You could possibly resolve the judgment liens from his father with an affidavit, but that will not solve all of your problems. You need to consult with a local real estate litigator quickly. Not only are his judgments attached to your property, but he has a claim for any equity.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.