Detroit, MI asked in Child Support and Juvenile Law for California

Q: I lied about my age to get a job because I was underage. I lied on the paperwork too. How much trouble could I get in?

I was 15 and told my employer that I was actually 16, and even wrote it on the application and orientation paperwork. This was in California. It was a McDonalds. Whenever someone like my managers would ask me, I would always tell them 16 instead of 15. They still don’t know, and I still work there.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Dude, you are in REALLY BIG TROUBLE NOW!!! The punishment is that you will have to eat at McDoo every day for the rest of your life!!! So if this comes from Detroit, MI and the McDoo is in CA, and you STILL work there, you must have one heck of a commute to get to work every day. You mix tenses, so it is hard to figure out where you are now, age wise, but you seem to indicate this is a past problem. The wrong that you committed is that you probably did not obtain a Minor's Work Permit to be able to work there. If anything, McDoo is in more trouble than you could be. Having lies on your employment history is not a good thing, but It is not going to land you in Jail. Suggest you come clean as soon as possible. Otherwise, it's off to the BIG HOUSE for you and the door stays locked with you inside.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.