Birmingham, AL asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Alabama

Q: I am unwed, pregnant, & do not want the father of my child involved in the pregnancy. What are my rights in AL?

We were in a serious relationship during the beginning of me becoming pregnant however have since broken up. He has become manipulative & verbally abusive & I am considered to be a high-risk pregnancy. Can I have him not be involved at all in my pregnancy & prenatal care & doctor’s appointments until the baby is born? & even after the baby is born possibly have rights to keep him away from us according to AL law?

1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: He does not have the right to bother you during your pregnancy. Contact him one last time and tell him if he bothers you again you will have him arrested. And then stop all contact. If he bothers you again call the police and have him arrested. When you go to the hospital and have the baby, do not list him as the father on the birth certificate. A child born to an unwed mother in Alabama is hers only. She has full custody. This is not to say that he can petition to establish paternity, visitation, custody and support after your child is born. If he does that, contact a lawyer immediately. Good luck!

Kristine Jones agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.