Daphne, AL asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: How do I evict someone who isn't a tenant--they were a live in girlfriend who refuses to leave?

She never paid rent. She has only paid a cable bill a couple of times in the last few years.

2 Lawyer Answers
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You hire an attorney. If she had an agreement to pay rent, whether she did or not, makes a big difference and you cannot afford to screw it up, because the consequences can be a bitter pill to swallow if you are the landlord.

Barbara Billiot Stage and Bruce Alexander Minnick agree with this answer

A: I agree. The difference between an unlawful detainer and an eviction depends on the facts and details. Either way you have to file a court action and that is not a do-it-yourself project. If you let them stay, they do not leave is the general rule about house guests, significant others, blind dates and relatives.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.