Riverside, CA asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: In the process of divorce, been living as married since 1998, married in 2012,will that be considered in dividing assest

have two children and also we purchased a house only in his name due to credit scores before marriage but while cohabitation, it was purchased 8 months before marriage. Will I be granted anything from that property, he has a attorney but I don't, I have been a homemaker since my first son was born 2003

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Good family law question, happens all the time. If he has an attorney, you need to have one, also, or you are going to a gunfight with a slingshot. Contact a local family law attorney, or find one here on Justia. Contact your local bar association for some possible recommendations. You probably have Putative spouse status, and if you don't know what that means, you really need an attorney.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.