Asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Permanent resident status

Hi..I am a u.s citizen and my wife is a greencard holder and I am currently outside the u.s and my stay was protracted (more than 5 years) due to me being alongside my mother who was ill and my wife was forced to stay with me this period as she obviously couldn't leave me and travel back to the U.S I am now planning to come back home as soon as possible with my 2 kids and wife and I know that this period may have invalidated her greencard status and I cannot file a visa for her abroad it will take a long time. Upon our arrival will airport immigration force her to go back or will they let her enter considering my case and I can than apply for her again from inside the u.s ? Thank you for your time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra Mulder
Kyndra Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: If your wife took no action to preserve her status and she has no visa she may not be admitted at the border.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.