Santa Rosa, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: Can my employer require me to pay for a canceled airplane ticket?

Earlier this year I was supposed to travel for a training, paid for by my employer. The training and flight were cancelled. No refund was issued, but the airline did give me a non-transferable coupon for the amount of the flight. My employer wants to be paid back for the flight, even though I was given a coupon and not a refund. My employer is the one who didn't buy insurance, not me. Do I owe my employer cash for the cancelled flight?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Give your employer the coupon, since that is the value you received for the cancelled flight. Since you did not receive money, IMO, you don't have to give him money. It is the employer's obligation to ensure his employees against expenses they incur in performing their duties. The code is silent about what the employer is entitled to if the employee receives something other than money as a refund. You might best have a consultation with an employment law attorney who can look over the paperwork regarding the training and all the circumstances. It is really hard to give a complete response with the little information provided in this forum.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.