Eldorado, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: How do I calculate how old my felony is? Is it from the time I was charged or when I completed parole?

I was sentenced 2007 to 9 yrs in prison and i was release Aug 2012 on parole and completed parole in Feb 2016 and I wanting to know how do I know how old my charges are. I am trying to apply for jobs and it says on that after 7yrs that you charge doesn't show up on a background check and I am wanting to know if that is true or how far back do they generally go when doing a back ground check? I also heard that they can go back as far as they want but that it is costly to due so.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The case will ALWAYS show on a criminal background check unless you are pardoned by the Governor of Texas and then file for an expunction. There is a seven-year rule for negative information on a credit report. The confusion comes from the fact that some employers use the fact that a credit check can also contain criminal history and was historically cheaper to obtain than a criminal background check. These days a criminal background check is cheap so you should not assume that a potential employer won't see it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.