Q: Thank you for the response.
Thank you for the response. Back taxes aren’t an issue. I was stating that there were taxes owed. I’m just trying to find out if I have a leg to stand on here. The person I initially rented from is no longer the owner and the current owner is dead with no heirs that I’m aware of.
A: 1. Sorry, but no, you have no LEGAL leg to stand on. Yet.
2. On the other hand you do not have to move at the end of September; nor do you have to keep paying rent to the person who told you to leave--because they do not own the place; the real owner does.
3. So who's the real owner you may ask?
4. Get up and go find out who owns the house, either by looking at the last deed on file at the Leon County courthouse, or look at the county's current statements for real estate taxes owed.
5. If you have no idea how to do it, call a local Tallahassee lawyer and pay them a small fee to go find out for you.
6. Then, after you learn who the owner is, come back here and ask what to do next.
Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.
The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.
Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.