Stockton, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: How long does an arresting agency or DA have to file charges without ever telling you why you were arrested and ...?

who can issue you written proof that no charges were filed? If you are arrested, released less than 24 hours later to a probationary status pending court the following morning, go to court and return home with a "someone may or may not contact you later if charges are going to be filed", and still have yet to be informed of what those charges may be 7 mos. later.....yet NO-ONE will issue a written letter clearing your name from unknown charges.....due to restrictions stating it's against policy to assist the perpetrator .Does this make any sense to anyone? P.S. Northern Cali

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

why not set up an appt with a criminal lawyer in your community.

an arrest can not be expunged/sealed as a rule.........but a conviction can.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.