Long Beach, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: How to stop a person from driving uninsured cars with expired tags from a person who has died?

My friend passed away, I am the named Executor, in probate court now. Next court date in Dec. A squatter who says he's been living in house of decedent, since 1/2019, is driving 2 cars, 1 with expired registration and no insurance is on cars. This person has not been living there at all. Neighbors know of him as a thief & troublemaker. Judge says case is only a couple months old, will let continuance till Dec. In the meantime he continues to drive cars. If he gets into accident, isn't the Estate responsible. What can be done???? This is not right!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The taking of another's property without permission is theft. The police deal with this. You can call and ask for an officer to meet you at the property and with proof of your right to possession of the property as the executor, get the keys.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.