Kissimmee, FL asked in Business Law for Florida

Q: If you quit a job for unethical business practices can you be liable for paying back wages?

The business claims they overpaid me and want reimbursed for employment wages. I moved from Ohio to what was supposed to be an on-site managers apartment plus 1500 monthly compensation. The apartment was declined as it was not safe to live in. There are also people living in storage units and conducting business out of units among other things. I quit employment after 3 weeks due to unethical business practices. They are now harassing me with a claim That they paid me for 4 weeks despite no formal contact, application or other written agreement.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, in theory they can seek it if they overpaid you. But if they paid you for four weeks without a written contract, they would still owe you something for that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.