Houston, TX asked in Uncategorized for Texas

Q: How can I get my name removed as the legal owner of a vehicle?

Its registered in my name, but I do not have possession of the car. The actual owner keeps going through toll roads racking up fines. I informed dps that I sold the car over a year ago, but the car is still in my name.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Texas attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. How did you advise them? Many state motor vehicle departments have online procedures that require certain steps on their websites to carry out registrations, cancellations, payments, etc. If you already tried that, then maybe an attorney could advise on further options. To avoid the new owner being cited for an unregistered vehicle, you could advise them, and possibly enlist their efforts in registering the car under their name if they were unaware of the situation. Speak to someone in Texas DPS or a Texas attorney to find out EXACTLY what the best way to do this smoothly would be. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.