Asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Hello. I have been charged with aggravated battery with firearm with great bodily harm in Florida.

Hello. I have been charged with aggravated battery with firearm with great bodily harm in Florida. I've posted a bail after a was arrested. This is what happened: there was a guy who was stalking me and my girlfriend. When he approached us I've pulled my glock and fired one round into the ground. Hollow point bullet did hit his ankle a little and he bled. Nothing serious really he was walking fine 30 min after seeing a doctor. I was arrested and charged. I've posted my bail. After I learn that this offense qualify for 10-20-life law I've fled the country. I'm terrified. How is this fair? I'm a victim and because I fired a shot I can spend life in prison? I cannot take it. Conviction rate is high and I don't know what to do. Maybe its better to stay outside of United States and be free at least. I was never arrested or convicted prior to this event. I have clean criminal history. What can I do? After I've skipped the arraignment Judge issued a warrant. Is this warrant nationwide?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Jeffrey H. Garland
Jeffrey H. Garland
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Pierce, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You could hire a lawyer to explore your options. The law may have changed since you left the country. The lawyer needs to figure out if yours is a stand your ground case, or not. The lawyer needs to consider whether the old or new laws apply to your situation. Obviously, it’s a serious matter. Those discussions need to be confidential. There may be other considerations, such as the “victim” criminal history, existence of witnesses or video and effect of statute of limitations. It is not illegal to defend yourself against the imminent commission of a violent felony.

B. Elaine Jones
B. Elaine Jones

A: You really should consult with and retain a criminal attorney to assist you. You can do this via video conference. The warrant is definitely nationwide so you should consult with an attorney asap. Most JUSTIA attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Contact one of us and let us know you found us on JUSTIA. Good luck.


B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.