San Jose, CA asked in Estate Planning for California

Q: My dad had an acct that was in his trust and when chase bought them out they made a mistake and listed it not in trust

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sally Bergman
Sally Bergman
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • San Mateo, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There may be relatively simple ways to fix this issue. I'm assuming your father has passed away? Depending upon when he died and the amount in the account, you may be able to use a small estate affidavit to transfer to the trust. These forms are available on the Internet, but I would be careful as the wording is different when it is being paid into a trust. If it is a larger sum, there's a court petition that can be filed to have it paid into the trust. I can do these on an informal basis in San Mateo County where I practice, so long as all of the beneficiaries agree.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.