Monroe, MI asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan

Q: Can I request child support to be re-calculated and back dated?

Ex wife didn't inform the court of her new job almost 2 years ago and her hourly rate came up significantly and we pretty much made the same amount. So continued to collect child support based on her lower wage amount. Can I ask it to be recalculated and back dated to when she got her new job? She also is not making our daughter visit me if she doesn't want to come to my house and it's in the divorce decree that I have visitation. We are in Michigan.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It would depend on how much the support calculation actually changes. Parenting time is a separate issue from child support; you do not get "credit" for your ex wife not allowing you visitation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.