Foley, AL asked in Family Law for Alabama

Q: Can my ex keep my child from me even though we both have full parental rights?

we have not have not been to court yet no papers have been filed that i am aware of. Is the father of my child allowed to move across state lines without my permission and without me knowing? Also, He (father) signed the birth certificate at the hospital but i am still legally married to a different man, is the man that i am legally married to considered legally to be my childs father or his biological ( the one who signed birth certificate) father? Last thing for now, how do i go about getting to see my child since his father isnt letting me see my son but an hour or two here and there and he wont let my son come and stay with me. Father of my child is currently staying with his dad and if i go to the property to try and see my son or pick him up they will call the law on me for trespassing. I am not sure what i can or cant legally do and i absolutely do not want to get in trouble with the law? Can he keep him from me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If you have not been to court you have full custody because you are married to someone else. Until a court of law adjudicates him, he has no rights. Go get you son.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.