Broken Arrow, OK asked in Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: In the case of a separation, can a 16 year old choose to stay with her stepmother instead of moving out with her dad.

My daughter and her husband are separating. My SIL has a 16 year old daughter from a previous marriage. She has made comments that she doesn't want to leave and wants to stay with my daughter. Is she allowed to make that decision.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: This is going to depend on what the parents want to happen.

A few general rules are:

1) Children don't make decisions.

2) A step parent would have no legal rights to the child unless both biological parents agreed for her to stay here.

3) The biological parents have rights superior to everyone else.

This would be an issue that the parents should discuss and try to resolve. As long as everyone is in agreement then it would not be an issue. It becomes an issue if the parents do not agree and then the child lives wherever the parents tell her.

I wish you the best of luck with this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.