Duluth, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: the court finds no community property other than personal effect has been accumulated by the parties?

My future ex-wife and myself are doing a online divorce since we have been apart since 2004 and this was on the final divorce paper. I raised all of our children myself with no help from her and all our property was divided back in 2004 so I want to make sure I dont have to divide everything I accumulated since 2004 since it was all purchase by myself. Also is there a lawyer that can look at these final divorce papers before I sign? The note listed above is what is written on final paper

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Are you sure she is going to agree to not trying to obtain anything you have acquired since 2004? Doing an online divorce may not be the best route to take if there are any concerns about her trying to take assets. It’s a good idea to take the papers you have done online and have an attorney at least look them over to ensure that everything has been properly done. Also, an attorney can get more information about your situation and provide you with guidance. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.