Cope, SC asked in Criminal Law for South Carolina

Q: Hi I was charged back in 2018 with unlawful child neglect. I was sentenced to 9 months of probation.

My probation ends 10-13-2020. All fees and court cost have been paid. I wanted to inquire about expungement or having my record sealed. Is it possible and if so what are the steps I need to take

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Columbia, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Hello,

This offense is not eligible for expungement. Unlawful Neglect of a Child under the South Carolina’s Children’s Code is an offense that can result in a prison term of up to 10 years and/or fines decided at the court’s discretion.

For a conviction to be eligible for expungement the crime must be a misdemeanor conviction, and your first offense, for a crime carrying a penalty of not more than 30 days imprisonment or a fine of $1,000, or both.

Your only option to remove this charge from your record is to petition for a pardon from the Governor of South Carolina.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.