Hesperia, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: I just want to ask why on my misdemeanor (PC550-B-2) dismissal letter in CA that i am not permitted to own a firearm.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rhonda Mae Hixon
Rhonda Mae Hixon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Redding, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Penal Code section 29805 lists the misdemeanors that result in a 10 year ban on firearms, and 550 (b)(2) isn't one of them. It appears that either you were in fact convicted of the felony, or a clerk has checked the wrong box, indicating you were. Contact your lawyer to get that straightened out. You can also get a copy of your plea form, and/or minute order from the date of sentencing from the clerk's office, and see if you can find the mistake.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.