Secaucus, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: Washer leaking, which causes flooding in apartment. Reported to landlord weeks ago. Landlord dismisses emails and calls.

My washer is in a shallow closet in the open area of my loft apartment. When it leaks, water goes under the door and out into the living area. I have slipped on water twice, and a guest of my almost broke her ankle when she slipped. I placed a towel at the door, but that does nothing to stop the water inside the closet. I reported this to my landlord weeks ago, but they have done nothing to resolve the issue.

I know there is legal precedence in NJ that allows me to pay for repairs myself, and deduct that cost from my rent. What do I need to do in order to justify that this qualifies? Also, what can I do to protect myself from retaliation? I pay my rent on time, but I am concerned that the landlord may try to retaliate when I do this.