League City, TX asked in Family Law and Civil Litigation for Texas

Q: What does “the court further finds that the attorneys fees & costs should be assessed by the party incurring the same”

My ex took me to court to lift geographical restrictions, modify child support and a few other things in 2010. Everything in the order was awarded to my ex. More child support, geographical restrictions were lifted, and This is what the ordered said regarding attorneys fees- does that mean I have to pay attorney fees? If so, it doesn’t state the amount or anything and the lawyer or ex did not send me a bill for it. It’s been 10 years, can it be thrown out?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It simply means you pay your lawyer what you owe her and your ex-spouse pays his/her attorney . Generally it means if you don't owe anything to your lawyer, you owe nothing to anyone under this provision of the order. If you didn't have a lawyer, you probably don't owe any attorneys fees to anyone, but (lol) you should have a lawyer look at this order to make sure what you owe, if anything. You can't take one sentence out of an order that's probably 8-30 pages long and determine what you are required by that order to do and what, if anything, you are required to pay.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.