Lake Worth, FL asked in Social Security for Florida

Q: I downloaded ssa form 795 (at the suggestion of the SSA cust Serv rep) to request all the backpay from ssi disability.

They are currently spreading out the payments for back pay over a year's time period. (I have already received the first payment of backpay). I am currently homeless and won't be able to purchase anything with only the first of three payments. I'm not sure HOW to ask this on the form they told me to download.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: The amount of your installment payments for back pay from Social Security can be increased if you can demonstrate necessary medical needs or debts that relate to necessities, such as housing, food, clothing, or medically necessary services, supplies, equipment or medicine. Follow Social Security policy guidance in POMS SI 02101.020

Be aware that shelter may include any of the following: rent or mortgage payments, utilities (gas, electric, heating fuel, water, sewer, garbage), property insurance, and property tax). Also, medically necessary services, supplies or equipment is evaluated by Social Security on a case-by-case basis and may include the purchase of a: car when necessary to get to doctor appointments or medical treatment, especially if you live in a rural area with no public transportation; mobile phone to enable you to contact medical offices; or a computer and internet access to enable you to get medical help (such as telehealth) or use Social Security's online services.

Explain what your current needs are using the policy guidance and request increased installment payments to cover these necessities. You can write our your explanation and your request in writing using the SSA-795.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.