Denver, CO asked in Animal / Dog Law for Colorado

Q: Can I press charges against my mom for neglecting and feeding my dog without my permission while I’m still in her house?

She’s refusing to let me feed my dog (who she signed over to me) what I feel is best for him. She said she will throw away the food (which if I’m understanding is my property) and refuses to feed THE DOG FOOD to my dog if I ask her to feed him. She also refuses to accept that my dog eats 1x per day as by his nutritional reccomendation and says that she will feed him whatever she wants to regardless of what she’s been told.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juliet Piccone
Juliet Piccone
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Do you live with your mother? I would suggest moving out and taking your dog with you and then the problem is solved. Otherwise, I think you need to talk to a landlord/tenant attorney since this is not really an animal law issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.