Tampa, FL asked in Adoption and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can my fiancee adopt my son without us involing the biological father?

My son is 5, 6 in 3 weeks. I met my fiancee when he was 2. The bio dad never established paternity, is not on the birth certificate and has been incarcerated as a violent felon since my son was 6 months old. I have had restraing orders against him. He has not tried to contact us in over 3 years. My son has no recollection and only knows my fiancee as his dad. Can my fiancee adopt him without involvement from the birth dad as paternity was never established?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: No; you have to give the biological father notice of the adoption proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.