Arlington, TX asked in Child Support and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: Can my income be added to my husbands income for his ex wife to get more money in monthly child support?

I also have a child from a previous marriage that I care for and we have a new baby together. (3 kids total) He has been consistently paying $600 a month for 5 years. His ex wife now wants to increase the amount because he is remarried to me and wants my income taken into consideration to increase the monthly payment.

(Ex wife is also re married, and the needs of my stepson have not increased.)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: What the ex wants and what she will get are two different things. Your income does not factor into the calculations for his child support and your income is not a basis for modification (if everything else has remained the same). However, your new baby together may possible lower his obligation to your stepson. Consult with a family law attorney in the county where the stepson resides to see what the actual amount should be. Especially if the ex files for a modification to increase child support. Best of luck.

Mr. Albert Loch Saslow agrees with this answer

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.