Asked in Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Employer sent my child support check to another case. Can i get the money back from state?

Last year my employer put the wrong case number on several of my child support checks that were sent to the state, so they were never credited to the right case. My case worker told me that although my name was on the check, it could not be credited to me because the case number was wrong. So they took those checks and credited the wrong case. It cause problems with taxes and my credit. We ended up paying it AGAIN so we had no arrears. Now my Employer has done it again. The state refuses to give me the money back. Is this legal? My name was on the check with the wrong case number.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You should consider hiring an attorney to file the appropriate motions to sort the issue out since the state won't help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.