New York, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: Hello. I live in NYC and am separated, not legally separated, from my wife for about 2 1/2 years.

We have no children and the only assets in question are my pension and deferred compensation plan. She has worked full time the entire time we have known each other.

I can't now, or in the near future , afford to hire an attorney to represent me in a divorce procedure. I have done some of my own research but definitely would like to consult with someone as the best way to proceed pro se. I am quite familiar with criminal law but have really only a rudimentary understanding of matrimonial.

Are there attorneys that consult and advise, perhaps at a lesser cost than actually representing me themselves?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin Abessi
Kevin Abessi
  • Franklin Lakes, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: Here's one of the places you can begin your search:

In addition, law schools have law clinics that may take divorce clients.

Ultimately, though, if you're working and earning a livable income, these places will probably turn you down, as they typically save their resources for the truly indigent. From your angle, you may conclude that you can't afford your attorney, and in all fairness, I know roughly nothing about your finances. But you mentioned that you have retirement accounts; those monies can factor into the extent to which you receive free legal aid.

If you and your wife are cordial enough with each other, then may you can go the uncontested divorce route. A lawyer may be able to handle both your uncontested process and the drafting of a settlement agreement for a few thousand, or perhaps even a bit less than that. However, I obviously cannot make such a guarantee.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.