Constantia, NY asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for New York

Q: if their is already a custody paper set can i just send in the copy of that or do we have to go through that again

Im going to file for divorce but i need to know if our custody/child support papers that are already set will be fine to send in or will that have to be redone

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You do not indicate who you are sending the custody order to. Once there is a custody order, you should get copies that are certified by the court and submit them where needed. For custody to be changed, there would have to be a petition or Order to Show Cause filed outlining the reasons why there should be a change and it would then be up to the court to decide if the reasons are adequate and if they are to hold a trial on those issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.