Decatur, AL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: My son got a girl pregnant. The girls mother is a narcissist nutcase.

Her and her mother threaten my son with not being able to see his baby if he doesn't jump to her every demand. They are 18 and 19. It will be a bigger issue once the baby gets here. Were do I start legally helping him establishing his rights

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: The first thing your son has to do is learn what his rights are. If he wants a right to the child he is going to have to go to court. He should sign the birth certificate. If they attempt to stop him, he should register with the Putatative Father's Registery (Ala. Code 26-10C-1). After the child is born he should file a paternity action. THe mother can ask for support for the child after the child is born and can also ask for medical expenses related to the pregnancy.

You don't provide many details, so I can't get into specifics. You should sit down with an attorney who is familiar with this kind of law and get him or her to explain all of this to your son.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.