Fontana, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: My sister in law started verbally abusing my wife and daughter.I stood up and defended them. Is that illegal?

The sister 9m law was cleaning our stove. She then turned around and verbally and started attacking my daughter and wife about the cleanliness of the house. She then proceeded to start calling them lazy xxx getting louder and louder. I had heard enough. I stood up and defended them. She kept going. I let told her to stop attacking them and she kept going. I found myself in her face. My last words were you ate going to make me get louder and wake up my baby and that it would not make me happy. She told me to take a walk aggressively. After me my wife and daughter went to the other side of the house she became irrational enough that my wife had to call the police to get her to leave.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: So you got the local police to act as pest control and remove the shrew from your house, good, that is probably the best thing you could do. Even though you give someone permission to be at your house, you can revoke that permission and they become a trespasser, if you have good cause, and it sounds like you did, not because of what your S-I-L was saying but because of the way she was saying it. You had every right to ask her to leave, and if she would not, she became a trespasser, and you could get the police to have her leave. The only place I can fault, is if you sunk to the S-I-L level and participated in a shouting match or you got physical with her before she got physical with you.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.