Redondo Beach, CA asked in Contracts, Employment Law, Workers' Compensation and Business Law for California

Q: Special Employment - Joint Responsibility

If I own a bar/night club and I “willfully/negligently contracted with a security company suspended by California Secretary of State and has no worker’s comp insurance to provide me security services, can I be liable or do I implicitly accept liability of the employer of the staff of the suspended company in the event of a lawsuit arising from the act of the security personnel provided by the suspended company or any injury/damage that the security personnel suffers while on my premises?

I would appreciate you provide me source and authority as well.


1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If I read between the lines of your question, you have been sued because the bouncer roughed someone up, and they claim that you "willfully/negligently" hired a bad security company. I am not trying to be rude, but you won't find the help that you need here, you need to hire an attorney to defend you and your bar against these claims. I just don't see a bar owner asking this kind of a specific questions out of curiosity about what the law says. The short answer is, you and your company could be liable depending on the details of the facts. It is all in the details.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.