Wake Forest, NC asked in Divorce for North Carolina

Q: In NC, can I be sued for alienation of affection? I had an affair with a married man

He was very unhappy, and we met on a dating site. I did not know he was married until I had already developed feelings for him. Can his wife sue me if I was not the cause of the problems? They separated soon after we met and are getting a divorce now. He was unhappy for a long time before me, but she blames me and is threatening to sue me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Can she sue you - yes. However, based on your description her odds of winning a likely less than slim and none. She would need to prove you purposely or at least knowingly broke up what was otherwise a happy marriage. So you likely have nothing to worry about. The other thing is if you are like most people these days and don't have significant non-exempt assets for her to go after even if she won, all she get is a Judgment that has about the same worth as used toilet paper.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.