Los Angeles, CA asked in Medical Malpractice for California

Q: Hi, I need help find out how I can get a family member who is being medical neglected in the hospital?

the doctor said since he's "walking" ( he can not walk) and he has low medical ins, they want to discharge him. that his blood work and scans are coming back normal. but he lost his eye sight, cant walk or talk right. the doctors don't want to communicate with us. My nephew had a drug overdose and we know how that might harm his out come but the doctors are telling us his fine and we can see he's not. he's being tide up to the rails. they don't help him eat and when we get to see him for the only hour allowed his food is cold and they help him. I'm desperate and need help on how to help get answers from the hospital

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A California attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your ordeal. Unfortunately, if the hospital has reached a decision based on the opinion(s) of their physician(s), they will generally proceed with discharge. In terms of the issues you describe where you feel the family is not prepared to accommodate the patient, you could contact the hospital's social services to learn what your options are, whether they include appeal, arrangement of nursing home, acute post-op facility (if the hospitalization was in connection with surgery), home health care, or others. These are GENERAL options that are usually available NATIONWIDE; if you reached out to a California attorney, they could probably advise more meaningfully on state-specific measures that might possibly be helpful. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.