Fort Lee, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: I have an issue with my landlord concerning duty to mitigate; landlord is ignoring me as well.


I have an issue with my landlord. I signed a year lease but would like to move out early due to excessive noise in the apartment. I understand that in my state (New Jersey) there is a legal obligation of the landlord to mitigate damages. My landlord briefly showed the apartment (over the course of 1 weekend) and suddenly took all the listings down for it. I offered to help my landlord find a new tenant to start a new lease by advertising but he refused to allow me to do this. I fear the landlord put up the listing for 1 weekend and removed them just to give the appearance that he tried showing the apartment. So far he's not answering my calls/emails/texts. Is he legally allowed to not show the apartment and not allow me to advertise for it either after I informed him I wish to move out?

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You are correct in your assessment of Landlord's duty to mitigate damages. Keep a daily journal of all events concerning your tenancy, landlord's failure to provide 'quiet enjoyment' (A term of art as required in all leases) because of other tenants' noise, and failure to advertise the available apartment, and failure to retain a licensed NJ real estate broker to obtain a tenant. When you moved in, did the Landlord provide you with a certificate of habitability from the municipality? Further, if a security deposit was paid, did you receive notice of the depository bank and interest as required by law? The landlord's failure to do so places him a position of jeopardy if litigation is instituted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.