Detroit, MI asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: My property manager filed a false police report


I need your help or advice.

The property manager of our apartment has filed a false police report saying my husband attacked her, we live in Upstate New York in a town named Watertown. It a predominantly white and my husband is from the Bronx and I and Barbados. We have contracted a lawyer but know her personally. We have had several problems with her. They have turn out water off now our heat. But they are claiming it was just repaired. Her son approached my brother in law threatening him. How do I legally get out of my lease

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Victor M. Feraru
Victor M. Feraru
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Mineola, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: So there are a number of ways you can get out of your lease under the circumstances you're asserting. First, this sounds like a toxic situation. You need an attorney. It sounds like there's a breach of the warranty of habitability and constructive eviction going on. However, there are a couple of steps that you must take in order to avail yourself of those options.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.