Owensboro, KY asked in Estate Planning for Kentucky

Q: My uncle passed away in June. He had no will. I received a check made out to his estate in care of me. What do I do

He resided in a nursing home and his 2 kids however they don’t hve anything to do with him and his daughter has a pending case against her for stealing his money and not paying his rent as well as selling his vehicle. I also informed his son I have received the first check which is not care of me and he has yet to contact me for it. The check is fixing to expire.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Open an estate and have yourself appointed Administrator so you can handle his affairs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.