Lyndhurst, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: Can I move out without giving a notice? No written lease, my landlord already filed a complaint in eviction court.

There is no court date yet. I want to move out soon but I’m afraid that they gonna give me hard time when they know the move out date. They already try to shut off the hot water and electricity and I had to call the police.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes, but you will remain liable for the rent past due and not paid as well as rent for the remainder of the lease. Although, in order to collect the ongoing rent, the Landlord must make reasonable efforts to relet the premises. If the new rental is for the same amount or more, the Landlord keeps that rent and you would have no further obligationn. If the new rental is for less rent, you remain responsible for the difference for the number of months till the end of your lease period.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.