Grass Valley, CA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for California

Q: Can the previous owner of a cat take it away after 4 years of abandonment?

I have my cat who I took over care of for when my grandmother died four years ago. Previous to that it was bought for my cousin as a kitten. My cousin left him behind when he moved out of our grandmother's house. Two years later my grandmother died and I moved into the house to take care of it, the cat, and help my father keep a roof over his head. For the past four years I have the only provider and parent to this cat. I was forced to move out when my father (a meth addict) threw a rock through my window and stole one of my sliding glass doors. I took the cat with me and now my father is taking me to court under the basis of inheritance since his mother took care of it. He is using the original owners as leverage and they are doing the footwork for him. Should I be worried? I am not giving my cat up. They are addicts and have had nothing to do with the cat ever. It's solely to get back at me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This meth addict is taking you to court so he can keep a cat? And his primary witnesses are meth addicts? You might consider getting a restraining order against them for domestic violence in the form of threats. You can choose your friends but you cannot choose your family.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.